Photographs from De long en large Ladakh by Jean Mansion - Édition Findakly. Copyright Lise Mansion

LETTRE-TDM-n°28: THE NEWAR GOLDSMITH’S TROUGH

By François Pannier

Marguerite Lobsiger-Dellenbach1 mentions and illustrates two terracotta goldsmith’s troughs in the 1954 catalogue of the Nepalese ethnographic collection of the Musée d’Ethnographie de la Ville de Genève.

Called Lapa in the Newari language, troughs of this kind are used to hold water needed to chill gold while it is being worked. One of the two objects in the museum was acquired in Kathmandu2 and the other in Banepa3.

They were placed on the ground by the entrance to a goldsmith’s workshop with the most elaborately decorated side of a trough facing the street.

More in this category: « LETTRE-N°27